Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Devastating Nashville Flood

I don't know if you all from Oklahoma have heard about the devastating flooding that went of this last weekend in Tennessee, but it is just terrible. It rained- a down pour- from Friday night until Sunday evening. About 12-13 inches, 28% of our average yearly rainfall in one weekend. There have been something like 22 confirmed deaths and others are still missing. Many peoples homes are destroyed. There are a lot of lakes, rivers and creeks around here and they just couldn't keep up and overflowed everywhere. The Cumberland River which goes right through downtown Nashville didn't crest until last night at about 56 feet. Much of the area I ran the marathon in last weekend is now waist high water. Many famous landmarks of Nashville were seriously damaged or destroyed.


Luckily, we survived without any damage. The little creek behind our house was like a raging river! It was crazy. I have never seen so much rain in my life. Schools have been cancelled all week because of damage and closed roads. Brent has been at work almost continuously since Sunday morning. They had millions of dollars of damage to their Women's Hospital.


Please lift up in prayer, those who were less fortunate than us and lost their vehicles, property, homes, or loved ones!


Here is the intersection at the Creek beside our neighborhood.

This was in front of Hollace's school
Two of the people who had to be rescued. This was about a mile from our house, in front of Hollace's school.

(The previous pictures were taken by Rick Murray of Memories by Murray)

Take a minute to look at this video. The destruction is so sad!



4 comments:

Kara said...

I saw this on the news and immediately thought of you! So thankful that you are safe! I will be praying for your area! Hope Brent gets some rest soon.

Janice said...

That is terrible. I'm glad you all are safe and dry! Love you all!

The Garvie Family said...

I had no idea it was this bad. Glad you guys are safe!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize it was that bad either. Wow! I can't imagine. I am so thankful that you guys are safe. Talk to you soon. Love you, Annie